COMMUNITY SERVICE OFFICER PROGRAM
Implemented in 1989 the Community Service Officer (CSO) Program provides an excellent training opportunity for college students considering a future in the law enforcement profession. The CSO Program is an essential part of the Brodhead Police Department. Community Service Officers provide support services to our sworn staff. This support allows our Police Officers to address more urgent calls for service or problems effecting the quality of life within our community.
Some of the duties and responsibilities of a CSO are;
- Direct traffic, provide scene security, or logistical support on calls for service, at civic events or during critical incidents;
- Assist with squad and department maintenance;
- Assist with community outreach and crime prevention programs;
- Perform animal control duties;
- Perform security checks of City parks, homes and businesses;
- Install, test, and maintain the Brodhead Elderly Emergency Monitoring System (BEEMS) Program equipment;
- Perform the duties and responsibilities of the Public Safety 9-1-1 Dispatcher;
- Work on special projects.
As you can see being a CSO is just not another job to help pay for college. This experience, along with your education, provides an excellent opportunity to develop an understanding of law enforcement profession as well as building one’s resume.
Interested in becoming a CSO?
We are looking for candidates who;
Are enrolled in an accredited University of Technical College, carrying a minimum course load of 9 credits, and is in the 1st or 2nd semester of an Associate degree or 1st year of a Bachelor degree program, which has an emphasis in criminal justice, we will work with you to accommodate your school schedule;
- Are at least 18 years of age;
- Are a U.S. Citizen;
- Have the physical health to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position;
- Have not been convicted of a felony or domestic abuse or of an offense which would not permit the possession of a firearm;
- Possess a valid driver’s license, without restrictions and good driving record;
- Have vision correctable to 20/20;
- Have good verbal and written communication skills;
- Can react quickly and effectively to stressful situations;
- Are able to work evenings, weekends, and holidays;
- Are able to keyboard/type words per minute - 25;
- Possess the knowledge and skills in operating computer systems;
- Are able to speak clearly and concisely;
- Can handle several tasks simultaneously;
- Can perform essential functions of this position.
We post openings for our CSO Program on Facebook at Brodhead Wisconsin Police Department, on the Wisconsin Law Enforcement Network (WILENET) website. We also provide employment announcements to area colleges and universities.
The selection process for CSO may include, but are not limited to;
- Written exam, including typing test;
- Oral interview(s);
- Background Investigation;
- Medical and vision examination;
- Drug screening.
For more information contact the CSO Program Coordinator at (608)897-2112, or email us at email@example.com